Cleaning out your closet is a task any fashionista must do. It’s easy to buy things and amass a grand collection of great fashion but still feel like you have nothing to wear. Behind all the clutter and clothes that are too big, too small or just plain out of style, lies the best of what you have to offer. Here are a few tips to closet de-clutter success.
- Pick a good day and time. Pick a day when you can set aside 2-4 hours (depending on the size of your closet and clutter) that you can dedicate to the task
- Have fun while cleaning. Cleaning out your closet doesn’t have to be a bore. Watch a marathon of your favorite show or listen to your favorite music while you clean.
- Be honest about your current size. I am sure we have all said, “I can’t possibly give that away! I will be back down to that size in now time!” Do yourself and your closet a favor by getting rid of clothes that don’t fit. That way, you can see what you really have and begin to shop for things that you need.
- If you haven’t worn it in 1 year, get rid of it. This may be hard to do for a lot of us, but realistically if you have gone a full 365 days or more without wearing something, then you probably don’t need it.
- Separate everything into piles. Have piles for things that need to be donated to charity, dry cleaned/washed, things that need to be tailored and things that are ready to hang back up.
- Keep this routine twice a year. After you stand back and look at the beautiful clean closet you have just worked so hard to organize, don’t let it get back to the state it was. Follow these steps twice a year. I like to clean mine in September and March (at the end of summer and beginning of Spring)
Image courtesy of closetsbydesign.com